It is a match two years in the making. After a long journey of petition signings, franchise announcements, brand reveals, kit unveilings, and tons of top-notch marketing, the Greenville Triumph will take the field for the first time on the road in Statesboro, GA against South Georgia Tormenta FC.
While there will be a multitude of “firsts” for the lads from the upstate, Tormenta is a team with a lot of continuity from their USL League Two team from last season. Will this give the fighting ibises the leg up in the first match in USL League One history?
What to Watch For:
- Triumph’s formation and playing style: Without question, this is the thing I am asked about the most regarding this team. While I felt confident in saying they would play some version of the 4-3-3 prior to the scrimmage at Legacy Field (in which they lined up in a 3-5-2), what I still feel confident in is the team’s possession-first mentality.
- ESPN+ Broadcast: I have been an ESPN+ subscriber since day one. I think this is a great broadcast partnership for the league, but I am interested to see what the quality of the first broadcast in league history looks like. With a league like this, there is bound to be inconsistency amongst the various broadcasts from team to team, but I hope that ESPN and the league have mandated certain standards to make this an enjoyable experience.
- Level of Play: This is a new league. Not only that, but this is a new division in the US Soccer landscape. The big question is what the level of play will look like? Will it be closer to the Division 2 USL Championship level or the amateur/semi-professional USL League Two/NPSL? The answer to this question may have big implications on the league, and the American soccer landscape, going forward.
Key Players for Tormenta FC:
- Ricardo Gomez – #6 – midfielder: The Georgia native spent the last two summer playing for the Myrtle Beach Mutiny and was named All-Conference and one of the league’s top prospects in 2017.
- Chris Hellmann – #23 – forward: The former Vancouver Whitecaps draftee has spent plenty of time in the USL system with the Charlotte Independence (USLC) and Des Moines Menace (USLL2).
The CASHINHO “Take It To The Bank” Prediction:
I think this is a fairly even matchup for most of the match and is bound to feature at least one call or controversial play that will lay the groundwork for this potential rivalry going forward. Ultimately, I think some last minute heroics will lead to the Triumph notching the first victory in team and league history on the road.
South Georgia Tormenta FC: 1 – Greenville Triumph SC: 2
The match will take place at Erk Russell Park in Statesboro, GA at 7:00pm EST on Friday March 29, 2019. Tickets can be purchased HERE. The game will be available on ESPN+ in the US and on YouTube internationally.