Soccer fans in the upstate have been waiting a long time for this one. On Saturday, Greenville Triumph SC will take the field for their first ever home match at Legacy Field. Can the team pick up their first win in team history in front of the home crowd?
What to Watch For:
- #SelloutLegacy?: Both the team and the Reedy River Riot Supporters’ Group have been making a big push to sell out the first home match in team history. The Triumph have certainly poured plenty of resources into advertising, showing up at community events, and making themselves available to local media outlets to hype the match. Saturday is supposed to be partly cloudy with a high in the mid to upper 70s. Sounds like the perfect conditions to potentially witness a sellout.
- Reedy River Riot: Greenville’s Supporters Group was born out of the petition that, ultimately, helped bring League One to South Carolina. Since transitioning to an official organization, the Riot have steadily built momentum towards the season. After a good contingent made the trip to Statesboro last Friday, and another segment of the group gathered to watch at a local bar, this Saturday should be a banner showing for the group.
- Greenville’s powerful defense vs. Lansing’s dynamic offense: In their match with Tormenta, Greenville displayed their strong defensive unit that will anchor the team this season. On the other side of the field, Lansing has what many believe will be the best offensive attack in the league. Saturday’s match should provide an exciting matchup pitting two of the league’s best units against one another. For more on Lansing’s attack, check out the highlights below from their first game against Richmond last weekend.
Key Players for Lansing Ignite FC:
- Xavier Gomez – #10 – midfielder: The former MLS draftee is the engine of the Ignite midfield. Gomez scored in the first match for Lansing and assisted on a second goal.
- Steeve Saint-Duc – #11 – forward: The Haitian youth international, and former LAFC signee, is expected by many to contend for the league’s Golden Boot prize this season. While he didn’t score in the team’s first match, he did assist the very first goal in team history.
- Nick Moon – #14 – defender: Moon is listed as a defender on Lansing’s official roster. In their first match, he played more as a right-mid/right-wing. But Moon has spent most of his career playing as a forward. Wherever he lines up on the field, Moon can, and will, score. His positioning will be worth watching as he could be a sneaky goal scorer if team’s are prepared for him.
The CASHINHO “Take It To The Bank” Prediction:
Lansing is making their second big road trip to start the season. They started quickly last week, but nearly blew a 3-0 lead (something Lansing soccer fans know a little bit about). Lansing’s goals last week came against a less that impressive Richmond defense. On the other hand, the goals they conceded were from a penalty and a poor defensive clearance. Greenville did not see any cards last week. Lansing saw four yellows. Ultimately, I think discipline will come into play in this matchup and I believe that will push Greenville to a victory. (Plus, I don’t know if I could deal with losing the first ever home match to a team wearing the beautiful colors of my beloved Tennessee Vols).
Greenville Triumph SC: 2 – Lansing Ignite FC: 0
The match will take place at Legacy Field in Greenville, SC at 7:00pm EST on Saturday April 6, 2019. Tickets can be purchased HERE. The game will be available on ESPN+ in the US and on YouTube internationally.