It’s week three of the Triumph’s first ever home stand that has seen the team go 2-0-0 in front of their home fans thus far. This week, one of the oldest continually operated soccer teams in America travels to the upstate as the Richmond Kickers come to Legacy Field on Saturday night. Can the green and navy go perfect in their first ever home stand?
What to Watch For:
- Richmond is down a captain: The Week 4 USL League One Discipline Report confirmed the one match suspension of Kickers’ captain Maxi Rodriguez for picking up a red card in last week’s match against Lansing. The midfielder is the engine for this Kickers team and is responsible for the majority of their distribution up the middle. His absence will be a huge loss for this team.
- Greenville is up a defender and forward: The Triumph, on the other hand, will see the return of defender Cole Seiler and forward Edmundo Robinson to the roster. Seiler will no doubt slide right back in to his starting slot. Robinson is more of a question mark to me after a strong performance from Travis Ward last week. Either way, being back to full strength is a major plus for this team.
- Promotions: The Triumph are rolling out the promotions for this match to attempt to once again #SelloutLegacy. If you don’t have tickets yet, check out the deals the team is offering. There is something for everyone including families, young professionals, and college students. The team is also hosting a pre-match Easter egg hunt for the kiddos!
Highlights from our opponents’s last match:
Key Players for Richmond Kickers:
- Joe Gallardo – #10 – forward: Gallardo leads his team, and is near the top of the league, in chances created with 6 on the season. I think Richmond will struggle a bit defensively this week so they are going to need a strong performance up top against Greenville this week.
- Wahab Ackwei – #18 – defender: Wahab is fifth in the league in passing, with 179 on the season, and third in clearances (13). Suspended captain Maxi Rodriguez holds the fourth spot in passing, with 186. This team likes to build out of the back and bunker in defensively. With Maxi out this week, I think even more is going to fall on Ackwei’s shoulders in terms of distribution.
- Akira Fitzgerald – #1 – goalkeeper: It seems like every week, the opposing keeper playing against the Triumph has a career match. If Richmond wants a chance to win this week, it starts right there. Fitzgerald is a veteran keeper who has spent the bulk of his career with the Carolina Railhawks and Tampa Bay Rowdies. Don’t be surprised if Greenville end up on the wrong side of yet another “Save of the Week” nominee.
The CASHINHO “Take It To The Bank” Prediction:
On one hand, I am sad that Richmond will be without their captain as I think this is a really intriguing matchup with both teams at full strength. On the other hand, I think Rodriguez’s absence is going to play a major factor in this one. I am not sure how Richmond can hope to break through the vaunted Triumph defense without him. Greenville has looked much improved offensively over the last two weeks since switching to the 4-3-3 and focusing on pressing high up the pitch. Richmond has looked very shaky at times this season on defense. Throw all of those ingredients in a blender, and add a splash of home crowd advantage, and I think this is a comfortable win for the boys in green.
Greenville Triumph SC: 2 – Richmond Kickers: 0
The match will take place at Legacy Field in Greenville, SC at 7:00pm EST on Saturday April 20, 2019. Tickets can be purchased HERE. The game will be available on ESPN+ in the US and on YouTube internationally.