The Lamar Hunt US Open Cup is starting its 106th edition this week. The tournament started in 1914 and has been going strong ever since. This year, a team from Greenville enters the fray as the Greenville Triumph will host USL League One rivals South Georgia Tormenta on Wednesday night in the first round. If they win, the Triumph would host USL Championship side Charleston Battery next Wednesday. But before we start planning the Palmetto Derby, let’s look at what to expect in round one.
What to Watch For:
- A Rested Tormenta: Tormenta’s last match was on Friday April 26 on the road against FC Tucson. After 12 days off, the fighting Ibises should be well rested as they travel to the upstate this week.
- $5 Tickets AND Free Parking: The Triumph have made getting out to this midweek match as cheap and easy as possible. General admission tickets are only $5 and parking for this match is FREE!!! There is no reason not to show up and bring ALL of your friends!
- Rivalry Renewed: USL League One has pushed really hard to present GVL-TOR as THE rivalry in the league. In the first match in league history, Tormenta was able to score a counter-attack goal in a match that seemed to be fairly even most of the way. This time, there is another slice of history on the line as two league foes lock up in the Open Cup for the first time. Can Greenville get the better of Tormenta this time?
Highlights from our opponents’s last match:
Key Players for Tormenta FC:
- Conner Antley – #3 – defender: Antley has scored two goals, is the league leader in assists with three, has created six chances, taken five shots, and has 281 passes this season. Oh, and did we mention he is a DEFENDER. Antley is not someone to be overlooked.
- Lucas Coutinho – #22 – midfielder: Coutinho is no offensive slouch himself. He is the league leader in chances created with 10 (tied with his teammate Charlie Dennis). He also has two goals and one assist on the season.
- Pablo Jara – #1 – goalkeeper: The Tormenta keeper has ten saves and three clean sheets on the season. Greenville has not scored in three matches. This is a recipe for disaster. Let’s hope our boys can break through the powerful wall that Jara has created this season.
The CASHINHO “Take It To The Bank” Prediction:
There are a lot of reasons that the Triumph should lose this match. Tormenta is more rested. Greenville cannot score. Tormenta absolutely can. Tomenta’s 2 team just beat the Red Wolves in the tournament and they would love nothing more than to claim both of their teams moving on.
However, I think Greenville has a chip on their shoulder. They want to avenge the season-opener. They want to break through their scoring drought. They want to host the Battery next week. I think we will see a Triumph team that looks more like the team that played the home opener against Lansing than the one we have seen the last few weeks.
Greenville Triumph SC: 2 – South Georgia Tormenta FC: 0
The match will take place at Legacy Field in Greenville, SC at 7:00pm EST on Wednesday May 8, 2019. Tickets can be purchased HERE. The game will be available on ESPN+.