This week will feature a match-up of two teams that many had pegged as playoff contenders that currently sit near the bottom of the table in USL League One. Their first meeting this season was filled with exciting soccer and plenty of controversy. What does this return match have in store for fans this week?
What to Watch For:
- Two teams in a slump: Neither Lansing nor Greenville have won a league game since April 13th. Lansing has at least scored in that time frame which is something Greenville has not managed. Can one of these teams find a way to break through their respective cold streak?
- Squad Rotation: Both teams also played midweek games in US Open Cup action, which they both won. How will squad depth and rotation play into this matchup?
- Rematch: While Greenville was able to play Tormenta for the second time this week, this will actually be the first opponent that the Triumph will see for a second time in league play. Greenville was able to get the 2-1 win over Lansing in their home opener and will hope for repeat success on the road this Saturday.
Highlights from our opponents’s last match:
Key Players for Tormenta FC:
- Grant Stoneman – #4 – defender: Stoneman is so much more than a great defensive piece, which he is. He currently leads the league in passes with 387 with a near 80% passing accuracy. He is a distributor and even has a goal to his name this season. But Stoneman sits atop another statistical category for the league as well: yellow cards (4). Will his aggressive nature help or hurt his team’s chances this week?
- Tumi Moshobane – #23 – midfielder: Speaking of racking up in the statistical categories, Moshobane is doing that in big ways. 24 crosses. Ten shots. Five chances created. He even has a goal and an assist to his name. Shutting him down will be a key focus if the Triumph hope to keep a clean sheet.
- Steeve Saint-Duc – #11 – forward: Saint-Duc has the potential to be one of the most dangerous players in this league. His potential to score is limitless, yet so far this season he has not scored a goal and has only has three shots. Let’s hope this is not his breakout game in the league.
The CASHINHO “Take It To The Bank” Prediction:
Lansing have not won a league match since mid-April and have three losses and a draw in that stretch. While both teams played midweek in US Open Cup action, Lansing is likely better equipped to handle the extra match thanks to a larger roster size. The Triumph are on the road and that is never easy.
But, ultimately this match will come down to whether or not Lansing’s high-powered offensive can kick it in gear and break down Greenville’s daunting defense. It may also come down to whether or not Greenville can kick their in-league scoring drought.
Lansing Ignite FC: 1 – Greenville Triumph SC: 1
The match will take place at Cooley Law School Stadium in Lansing, MI at 7:00pm EST on Saturday May 11, 2019. Tickets can be purchased HERE. The game will be available on ESPN+ in the US and YouTube internationally.